POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Portal Pigment - Portal pigment.jpeg (1/1) : Re: Portal Pigment - Portal pigment.jpeg (1/1) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 08:24:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portal Pigment - Portal pigment.jpeg (1/1)
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 23 Jan 2001 11:22:25
Message: <3A6DB06D.7D620ADA@aetec.ee>
Chris Huff wrote:

> This is just a test scene for the portal pigment.
[Snip]

Interesting, but I'm not very sure, whether there is need for hard-coded
patch for such feature. Of course I don't want to say,  that this patch
creation is totally in vain and nobody will use it, but there is
millions of possible patches, which could be all implemented in POV-Ray
but will be used very rarely. I'm not sure, that this is desired very
much, as in the end POV-Ray will end like some programs, having tons of
features, which are not used and resulting in program gowth and
slowness.
[Note: In addition to such strong critics toward others shameless
self-promotion follows! Sorry, but I'm such egomaniac! :-)]
BTW, my patch (POVMan) has implemented SL's trace function (trace
accepts starting point and direction vector and returns color, which is
result of this trace). With simple shader:

surface portal(point campos=(0,0,0)){
  Ci = trace (campos, N);
  Oi = Os;
}

following portal picture was created:
Note2: current implementation of SL's trace function tends to alias
strongly, escpecially in such cases, where adjoin rays will diverge (as
with this scene), for only one ray is shooted for each sample. Turning
on antialiasing will ameliorate result a little bit, but better would be
to return integrated color over some sampling area. But this is not done
yet...

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'manportal.jpg' (15 KB)